Alright, so I said I would post more and here I am. I want to take a moment to talk about NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org). Somewo to three years ago, while listening to the podcast novels as I drove from Port Huron to Dearborn five days a week I heard some of the podcasters talk about it. Basically, it's an organization which challenged others to write a 50,000 word book in the span of just thirty days.
I thought to myself, wow that would be interesting to try. But, did nothing else. The month went on. I thought nothing more. I was in the car driving for three hours a day, there wasn't any time I could devote to trying to write. So then time went on and in 2010, November loomed closer and closer. I thought that it couldn't hurt to try NaNoWriMo. I told myself that I would probably not succeed, but if I was going to go down, I was going down in a blaze of glory.
So, in late October, I was sitting in bed with my laptop and I signed up at the NaNoWriMo website. Gretchen was asleep next to me, and I told myself "I have no idea what I'm going to write about." Which is actually one of the great things about NaNoWriMo. They insist that you start fresh. Nothing that would be able to contribute to the word count could be included if it was written prior to the beginning of the month. It was a few days before November first, and I had a vague idea of the first scene I was going to write.
So then, on Halloween night, right at the stroke of midnight, I started writing. From what I'd learned there was various ways of keeping on task, but the website helped break down the over-all 50k into smaller daily goals. Just try to stay on top of the daily goal each day. I can't remember how much I'd written that night in the first hour, but considering my work shift I needed some sleep.
But, as the days went on, each day I kept reaching the goal. I know there were tons of typos and grammatical errors in what I was writing, but that's one of the lovely things about NaNoWriMo. They tell you not to edit. They just tell you to keep writing. You can edit later, but you can't edit later if there isn't anything to edit, so that's why it's important to keep writing.
As the days went on, I would get home from work late, and instead of spending quality time with Gretchen, I sat down and started writing. I joked with her that she was becoming a NaNoWiDo (ya like that, a nice play on words, I can't take credit for coming up with it). I got through about half the month and then realized that it might actually be possible to complete the goal. So I kept chugging away.
I think I ended up finishing with a full day to spare.
It was amazing. The sense of accomplishment, the realization of a lifelong goal to write a book, all while still dealing with the commute I had. Now that was an accomplishment on top of an accomplishment . . . I was geeked. BUT, I also knew that it was just the first step in process. There was also the post-NaNoWriMo work that would need to be done as well.
What is a NaNoWriDo?
ReplyDeleteI'm still very proud of you for accomplishing the 50k words while you were commuting. This year should be easier...and perhaps better. ;)
I love this story! I got excited and tried nanowrimo last year and fizzled out amazingly fast. :( But, all that did was pump me up for this year and I'm already getting psyched out! That's why it was so nice to read the account of someone who tried and made it on their first go-around. Well done!
ReplyDeleteGretchen, a NaNoWido or widow . . . .
ReplyDeleteRunester, glad I can help get you psyched for NaNo again this year. hopefully, the later parts in the story won't scare you off.
Jenn from Jennisodes really cracked my shell on NaNoWriMo. I was (and to a lesser degree still am) a critic of NaNoWriMo, but her experience made me see the positive that is so normally drowned in all the negative.
ReplyDeleteIt's easy to lose sight of people getting over that hump where they never thought they could write a novel and now perhaps there was a chance they could grow and improve and produce something in the future that could be a genuine novel.
Unfortunately for me, November/December is a horrible time of year. Despite all the warnings the organization offers, WAY too many participants think they've finished a novel and now it is time to have their genius published. They query agents with their 50k-word manuscripts that are the rawest of raw first drafts and it drowns agents so that it's best not to query until January and skip December all together.
So with that note, I will say that unless you're writing for a middle grade market (kids younger than the young adult audience), 50,000 words is not a publishable novel length. I know a longer word count would be impossible for most participants in a single month, but I feel bad that they construct an arc that finished in 50k words and is too short by a quarter to a half or more.
Joe, I completely agree in regard to the NaNoWriMo manuscript not being completed as of December 1st. That's where the next part of this blog post is going to go into.
ReplyDelete